THE GOHENRY CARD
ATM LIMIT: NONE
ATM FEE: FREE
ENTERPRISE OPTION: N/A
APP: iOS & Android
CUSTOMER SUPPORT: Email & Telephone
MONTHLY FEE: 2 Months FREE then £2.49 per account
LOADING OPTIONS: Bank transfer or Debit Card
CARD DELIVERY CHARGE: £5 if lost or stolen
- What is gohenry?
- How does gohenry work?
- gohenry personalised debit card
- How much does gohenry cost?
- Is gohenry safe and secure?
- Advantages and disadvantages of gohenry
What is gohenry?
gohenry was designed for parents who have children between the ages of 6 to 18. It gives youngsters the tools they need to learn how to manage money. As a parent you have full control over your children’s finances through an app. Here you can control, monitor and transfer money to your child’s debit card. Gohenry is one of the leading money apps and bank substitutes for parents in the UK.
The company was founded in 2012 by a group of likeminded parents who had realised there was not a solution for giving kids the ability to spend using a debit card while giving a degree of control to parents. It was at this moment that gohenry was born. Since then, gohenry have acquired over 500,000 customers in the UK and beyond. This quickly made gohenry the biggest company of its kind.
How does gohenry work?
The gohenry ‘package’ is essentially made up of 3 elements which are:
- An account for parents. From this interface you are able to control and transfer funds to your child’s account via your iPhone or Android device.
- An account for children. Here your child can spend money and see their limits/allowances.
- A VISA debit card. The debit card allows children to make online purchases, pay for goods in stores and withdraw cash from an ATM.
Although there are already an abundance of ‘bank accounts’ designed for children, most don’t offer any kind of parental control. The difference between gohenry and high street banks is that the whole idea of the app is being able to control and monitor how your children spend their money. Below we take a look at some of the parent control features.
- Notifications in real time – When your child makes a transaction of any kind, you will receive a notification in real-time. This will pop up and display on the home screen of your phone wherever you are.
- Spending limits – You have full control over how much your child can spend on a daily, monthly or weekly basis. This is a great way to show children how to budget.
- Issue rewards for tasks – You can set up predefined rewards within the app so that a fixed sum is paid to your child’s account if they have completed a task given by you. This is a perfect way to issue and track incententives.
- Age restricted transactions safeguard – the standard configuration of gohenry is set up to automatically block transactions associated with age restricted content. For example, gambling, pubs and adult content. This gives you the peace of mind that your child cannot make age restricted purchases whilst using gohenry,
gohenry personalised debit card
In the past year, gohenry started to offer personalised debit cards. Not only do these cards look cool, it also reduces the change of cards getting lost or mistaken for another childs debit card. You can choose from many designs and add your childs name to the card during the sign up process. It only takes a few seconds and really makes the cards more appealing compared to the standard design which was quite plain.
Here is an example of a gohenry personalised card:
How much does gohenry cost?
Here we will explain the costs of gohenry. The good news is, that you can try gohenry for 2 whole months for FREE. This will allow you to trial the app and see if it will work for you and your children. If you don’t want to continue after the trial simply cancel and you won’t pay for the service.
After the gohenry 2 month free trial, the service costs £2.99 per month, per child. For this price, you will get the following features at no extra cost:
- Withdraw cash from an ATM within the UK.
- No sneaky overdrafts and fees, only spend what is in the account.
- Free VISA goHenry debit card for your each child.
- Dedicated customer service via email or phone.
As with most prepaid debit cards, there are other fees involved so lets take a look at the fees below:
- gohenry account fees – After the two month free trial, the account fee per month is £2.49 per month. If you have more than one child then this fee applies for each one. This fee will come out of the parent account each month.
- Funding your gohenry account – You can top up your gohenry account for free using bank transfer however, this can take between 3-5 business days to complete and is probably the option with the longest time delay. The other option is to top up via your bank debit card which is instant but does carry a fee of 50p per top up. This fee is simply gohenry passing on the processing cost charged by the bank which we think is fair enough.
- Spending fees with gohenry debit card – All spending using the gohenry card in the UK are completely free. However, if your child was to use the debit card abroad, for instance while on holiday, then fees will apply. The fee is calculated by applying a 2.75% charge to each transaction. Also, the amount will be converted to GBP at the current interbank exchange rate and then charged in GBP rather than the currency of the country visited.
- gohenry ATM withdrawal fees – Your children won’t be charged for withdrawing cash from an ATM as long as it is within the UK. If the card is used abroad, a £2 fee per withdrawal will be applied. Obviously, there may be other fees from the vendor, so it is always best to check first before using any debit card abroad.
- Lost, damaged or stolen gohenry card – If any gohenry card is lost, stolen or damaged a £5 fee is charged to have another one sent out. This fee is primarily for fast delivery of the new card.
Is gohenry safe and secure?
Technically speaking, gohenry is not a bank. This means that accounts are not protected by the FSCS which is a scheme that most banks use to protect the money held. As gohenry is essentially just a prepaid debit card, this is the same for other similar cards. The good news is, all gohenry debit cards are regulated by the FCA meaning all funds are held in segregated accounts. This means that in the rare event that gohenry is compromised, you can rest assured that your funds are safe and secure.
If your child loses their gohenry card, it can be blocked or frozen instantly via the app meaning it can’t be used for any transactions from that point onwards.
Advantages and disadvantages of gohenry
- Real-time transaction notifications.
- Enforce spending limits, daily, weekly or monthly.
- Two months completely free to test out the service.
- Wide age range from 6 – 18.
- Inbuilt configurable reward system to incentivise your children.
- Teach and encourage good money management skills from an early age.
- Family members can send/receive money. For example for birthdays or christmas.
- Manage up to 4 child accounts per parent account all from one app.
- There is a monthly fee involved, albeit only £2.49 per month.
- You only get one free of charge top up per month, the rest will cost 50p.
- No interest paid on balances, however the card is designed for daily spending.